Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Birthdays

So those of you that know me should know by now that I don't tend to make a big deal of my birthdays. Hell the only reason I'm using it as the topic of this post is that I needed some material for a post and the trip to the DMV yesterday, though painfully slow, was not as humorous as TV would have you believe. Though I did know that I was in for a long wait when the first thing I heard when I got in was a woman at the counter trying for at least a minute to determine what year a client was born in. They had made it as far as the day, month and decade (thankfully the century and millennia were self evident). But hearing her ask for the year (197?) over and over and not get a response just made me shake my head. Oh, one more interesting point, though the US can fly a missile through a door halfway around the world, and watch you scratch your ass from space while getting the mail, they do not accept credit or debit cards at the DMV. They will however accept cash and paper cheques, seriously, what the fuck is wrong with this country?

Anyway for those unaware of the fact today is my 28th birthday, whoopee! I don't know why it is that I don't get overly enthusiastic about my birthday, but I just can't. I think in part is stems from the few times that I tried to get a gathering of friends together only to have it implode upon me. But either way for some reason the day seems to put me in an odd mood, mostly reflective though as a consequence somewhat melancholy. That being said, it's kind of hard to really feel that way today. One of my co-workers attacked my desk with ribbons, streamers and confetti, so it really has a very festive flair to it today. And I really do appreciate those acts of kindness, despite my reluctance to truly celebrate my birthday.

So to all of those that e-mailed me, thank you very much. To those that forgot, thank you very much. And those that didn't know, well now you know for next time, as you can see I'm easy to please so feel free to remember or forget the day as you wish.

In the end I guess the important aspect is that I have friends who care for me. And I know that I have plenty of them, even if they don't know my birthday, and whenever I get to spend time with them or talking to them I'm happy. In a way every day for me is a birthday (after all I did almost die at birth) so for me each day is a bit of a celebration, so cake or not, they are all good, particularly when spent with friends.

Tonight though I will be spending a good part of it on the bike, after all I must ride on my birthday, this year will be a first too, it will be on the cyclocross bike, lots of fun!

2 Comments:

Blogger CMac said...

Well spank my ass and call me Randy, Happy Birthday Chris!
Who the hell still carries around cheques in their wallet anymore? And they are incredibly less secure, compared to debit or a credit card. Wow.
Good job on not dieing for another year.

7:14 a.m.

 
Blogger taleanski said...

Happy belated birthday =)

11:12 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home