Sunday, August 21, 2005

Full moon - good luck

So for those of you who are chronically afraid of the outdoors, don't ever look up from the sidewalk, or live somewhere that was very cloudy, Friday night was a full moon. Now I'm not one to give into superstitions and all that, most of the time I think we make our own luck. Though all things considered this weekend may have me rethinking that notion (or I just cashed in all my karma credits-yes I see the hypocrisy in that statement).

But Friday night seemed to present a change in the way my luck was turning. Now normally I have good luck and this week was not much different from any other, however things started to go my way in a big way late Friday night. After helping a friend move into a new place we went back to his old place (a few blocks away) for some pizza and a Friday night poker game. The first game wasn't so nice to me, but in the second game I just could not lose. I was knocking everyone out of the game, racking in more and more chips, it was all good. There was a bit of a disruption to the game around 2 am though. A friend was in a spot of trouble and needed me to help out, so after getting off the phone I was able to cash out, taking half the pot with me ($45). And knowing the way my luck goes when I'm big stack in poker, it may have been most fortunate that I received that call when I did.

The next morning despite only having about 4 hours of sleep I was still able to make it out for a nearly 4 hour cyclocross ride with the club. The ride was perfect, at one point it was just me and another well off the front simply flying through this great single track under the trees. We were both cornering great and just riding so smoothly. It certainly made up for the kilometers of trail that was obscured by the overgrowth of weeds, most taller than me, and the acres of stinging nettles under the trees, where the weeds were only knee high. Then despite being pretty wasted from the ride I took a quick break, about an hour and a half then I was off to play dodgeball for 2+ hours. Once again it was a great game, lots of people and lots of fun. Though on the down side of things I did manage to accidentally hit a girl that I like in the head with a shot she never saw coming (though she did accept my profuse apologies).

Then to top things off when I got home I found a couple of early birthday cards in my mailbox. One form a good friend in Vancouver, who's birthday earlier this month I forgot (I really don't deserve my friends most of the time). And one from my parents, with a bonus of some cash. This turned to be very convenient as that night I found a great couch for sale on Craig's list, for the amount in the card. Though since this isn't an auction site there was no guarantee that I would get the couch, but this morning before the ride I got a call from the guy and the couch was mine if I could pick it up that day. Fortunately I had just moved a friend who had a pick-up and owed me a favour...so now I have a great couch in the apartment(finally).

Some days are just nuts how well things can work out, who knows how long the luck will last, but I'm hoping it will carry over at least through Wednesday night. I figure I may as well ask the waitress out now, after all I finally have a couch to make...sit on.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cory said...

Heh heh...looks like everything's coming up Milhouse! You better hurry up and ask that waitress out before fate decides it's payback time. Pick up a lottery ticket while you're at it...

10:14 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well since your luck is good, maybe this anonymous girl can share her luck. She, said anon. girl, got engaged a week ago.
Cheers,

11:46 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home