Tuesday, September 05, 2006

New students need to start learning now!

OMG!!! It's the first day of classes here and I've already had enough of the new students. I guess part of it is my own fault, I decided to go to lunch right around noon. I know better than that, but I get in at 7:30 so by the time noon rolls around I'm hungry. Of course this is when everyone else goes to lunch, which wouldn't be bad, except all the kids are here without their parents to tell them what to do.

Maybe I'm just getting cynical and old, after all I am a decade older than most of the students at this university...wow that's kind of sad. But I would hope that by the time you go to university you would know how to walk down a sidewalk or stand out of the way. But they don't, they walk four across, really slowly, while listening to the dumbest one of the group on a cell phone with a friend:

"Yeah, we're walking to Church street."
"I think it's Church street."
"We're almost there. Where are you? How long until you get there?"

* The above is an actual quote from a girl I was stuck walking behind for half a block


This pathetic electronic hand holding is going to drive me up the wall. Just call the person, set a destination and a time and don't call again until you get there!

At least I didn't have problems on the bus this morning. A lab mate told me that her bus was seriously delayed because none of the new students could figure out the complex systems. Like reading the digital signs that spell out the destination or how to pay the fare. Incidentally there is a widely promoted "how to ride the bus" program in the Twin Cities, so there really is no excuse not to know how to ride them (and it's not that complicated anyway).

I think the part that annoys me the most is all these student/social/activist/commercial groups that suddenly show up to shove pieces of paper in your face every time you turn around. The worst part is that by 9:30 this morning the university was already a mess of papers and trash just left strewn around by these idiotic new students.

The worst part of all this, is that I'm no longer in Alberta so I don't get to see my favorite first week school sightings, cowboys on campus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home